Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Other Sister

If I told you there was a film that had Tom Skerritt, Diane Keaton, Giovanni Ribisi, and Juliette Lewis together....you'd probably just based on cast have to believe it would be at least of workman like competency, right? What if I told you it was directed by Garry Marshall who is currently churning out holiday related films with ensemble casts that have so much star wattage that they literally molest your eyes?

What if I told you the plot was two mentally challenged people finding love? Wait, what?

First off I went to Youtube and was surprised at the volume of Other Sister clips there are. Secondly, this is not a very good film. It is workman like. It would be easy to ridicule this film and the last thing I want to do is insult people who did their best, but man, this is not a fun movie to watch. You are truly in luck though as I have actually watched the whole damn movie. Why? Because I hate myself.



Garry Marshall also directed Pretty Woman. One thing I never understood about Pretty Woman is why we don't think Richard Gere's character in the film is a piece of shit. I don't want to start an ideological argument about the merits of prostitution but let me put it this way. In a social vacuum I'm fine with prostitution. A person exchange money for sex or even just companionship is fine with me. The problem is we do not live in a social vacuum. The people who find themselves selling their body often do so because of awful extenuating circumstances. The people who surround this environment often are not good people. And the types of people who prey on such people are also bad people. So as a whole I will say that prostitution in general is a negative in society. Why are we okay with Gere paying this woman lots of money just to hang with him then? He knows nothing about her...other than perhaps she cares about her dental hygiene.

He doesn't know enough to make value judgements on her but he is contributing in long and short to ensuring that (let's assume he does not fall in love with her but merely she hangs out with him for the week) she stays on the streets of Los Angeles looking for her next 'john'. The opportunities for violence to befall her are high given her occupation and the area she lives and works in.

One other thing that goes unexplored is what happens to Jason Alexanders character? Why weren't the cops called? He did in fact try to rape Julia Roberts character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself