Saturday, January 02, 2010

The Mayans Warned Us

I'm in Benji's car and we're heading down to Rochester. 89.3 The Current playing on the radio. Sun going down on a desolate stretch of Highway 52, snow swept landscape, sun going down in the west burning amber orange. The DJ decides to throw on 'New Year's Day' by U2. I won't bore you with a painfully long attempt and articulating why music is awesome and sometimes a certain song comes on and it in a funny but also very serious way makes a moment awesome but....it was pretty awesome.

-I'm still waiting for Dr. Dre's (alleged last album) Detox.

-It's currently -9 degrees and feels like -22 degrees according to Weather.com. I'll just point out that now I legitimately wish I was back in California

-A lot of people/places placed The Strokes - Is This It in the top 5 albums of the decade. I'm likely to agree with most of those people if the assertion that they helped usher in the garage rock revival that in turn brought balance to the music world in which over produced/nu metal rap music of the late 90's dominated.

Keeping that in mind it is always disconcerting when creating lists of decades when something that is arguably "THE BEST" is at the beginning of the decade. For film, two that come immediately to mind are Goodfellas and Raging Bull. Both Scorsese pictures and both were released at the beginning of a decade yet they would both go down as one of the best of the decade...if not THE BEST. I say disconcerting because it certainly makes someone reevaluate the list because right away the author is saying "the best thing came out right away and it was down hill from there." While maybe not literally saying that, I've always been concerned about that when coming up with lists.

The truth though is that Raging Bull has a definite claim at being pegged as 'BEST OF DECADE'. What we should be angry about is why Scorcese had the audacity to release Raging Bull in 1980...he should have released it in 1987 thus alleviating me of any GUILT!!! Damn him.

-Law & Order: SVU marathon the other day on USA and I think even last night. Nice.

-If I make a montage of video clips and stuff that happened over the past 10 years I'd set it to 'Disarm' by Smashing Pumpkins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself