Wednesday, January 06, 2010

HYPOCRISY OF THE STATE

I'm a few months behind here but I just want to say that Kanye West interrupting Taylor Swift during her acceptance speech for Best Female Video was completely overblown. Let me lay down some evidence.

1. I was a bit perplexed at the outrage and indignation over the interruption of the award reception. Besides the fact that MTV has been rather culturally irrelevant for the better part of the last 10 years (Except Jersey Shore) MTV has always advertised the Video Music Awards and Movie Awards have prided themselves on being more fun and less stuffy than the traditional awards. The idea that Kanye somehow shattered the sanctity and dignity of the awards is therefore fundamentally flawed. Kanye was the best thing that happened to MTV in the past few years and they should be applauding his behavior.

2. In 1994 one Adam Yauch (MCA) in 'Nathaniel Hornblower' disguise interrupted Michael Stipe as he accepted his own MTV award. His protest was the fact that Sabotage was shut out from winning any video awards. (It was nominated for three. Best Video, Best Director, Best Breakthrough Video) I'm a fan of MCA and The Beastie Boys and if I recall correctly the "incident" was taken in stride/as a joke and its looked back on as a funny moment in MTV history. If I recall, Presidents and former presidents, dozens of commentators from all spectrums of media and other artists failed to condemn MCA for his stunt.

3. 2009 Mtv Video Music Awards...there was an award category titled "Best Video (That Should Have Won a Moonman)." Sabotage won that. Coincidence?? I think not. My conclusion...conspiracy. MTV orchestrated this whole thing and the CIA brainwashed Kanye in to doing this.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself