Thursday, March 05, 2009

Krav Maga is Officially Overblown/Overexposed

I'm not sure what the tipping point was but I'd say somewhere in late 2007 Krav Maga officially 'blew the fuck up' and is now all over the fucking place. For those who don't know Krav Maga is a fighting style that according to the mythos, is a close quarters fighting style used by the Israeli army. Sounds bad ass right? Close combat fighting where the point is to disable and disarm. You're probably envisioning bad ass fucking combat.

Jump forward to Los Angeles, 2009. I've seen and have taken pictures with my phone (although too lazy to upload them right now) of multiple weird gun/self defense magazines in the past months while browsing the mag racks at Barnes & Noble with covers singing out the praises of Krav Maga. How did I know when this little craze started to jump the shark?? Well first the magazines are a decent give away. Then you had shows like Fight Quest and whatever the fuck the other one that was on TLC...or maybe Discovery and they go out and learn fighting techniques from all over the world and Krav Maga was one of them. I'm not joking when I say I bet in 2004 no one knew what the fuck Krav Maga was....unless you were in the Israeli military or something. All of a sudden I see people with Krav Maga shirts and Krav Maga classes being offered and now its got some sort of bizarro mythos where Krav Maga is fucking badass and the ultimate fighting style when 4 or 5 years ago no one knew what the fuck it was.

In any event, I'm officially declaring this fighting style "OVERBLOWN TREND/FAD OF 2009 THUS FAR." I'm sure there are some hardcore Krav Maga followers who would kick my ass for such insults, but the truth is they'd kick my ass if they had no fighting training.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself