Thursday, July 31, 2008

Trail Blazing for the Sake of Authority

I would make the argument that Wikipedia is one of the more important things to emerge in my short time on this earth. Not only can you learn from it, but you can laugh at it and maybe even cry a bit. Sure the entry for some random Star Wars character is more in depth and better researched and cited than my senior thesis but thats besides the point. The base of knowledge contained in wikipedia is mind blowing.

I do throw around the term "mind blowing" a lot and on occasion I over exaggerate, but I think Wikipedia has earned the status of mind blowing. Other things that are on the mind blowing list.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Diet Mountain Dew
3. My Xbox360
4. Corn on the Cob
5. The Author and Researcher Mike Davis
6. Documentary: Hoop Dreams
7. Love
8. Hate
9. John Hardy's Barbecue
10. Lists of things

You get the point. Which brings me to the next point. Is there much better of a scene than the one with John C. Reilly in the movie Magnolia where he is stumbling and embarrassingly trying to ask out the woman played by Melora Walters? Not only is John C. Reilly turning into one of best type of those supporting characters (think William H. Macy - also note that they have a middle initial which makes them cooler in their screen names) who is in everything and plays a great everyman but who also is definitely capable of being the leading actor. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is another great example (both Macy and Hoffman are in this movie too!). Anyways thanks to the power of youtube (Another internet wonder) we have that scene available. Jump to the five minute mark if you want to see the scene I'm talking about. Painfully awkward but too fucking real and way to reminsicent of times in my life for me to laugh about. That said, I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself