Thursday, December 15, 2011

MUSIC

There is NO DOUBT that 'Don't Speak' is a good song. See what I did there?

Maybe I told this story before. Maybe I didn't. The first CD's I ever bought were from Columbia House/Columbia House Record Club. For those who don't remember this, it was a mail order program that was often found in magazines that would offer you something like 7 CD's for a cent each or free. You were then obligated to buy something like two or three CD's over the next year as part of this promotion.

The funny thing was that I didn't have a job. I was approximately ten years old. I don't know why the hell my mom let me do this. I probably lied to her. I don't remember every CD I ordered but I definitely got No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom and did it ever rock my world. I'm pretty sure I also ordered the Quad City DJ's album 'Get on Up and Dance' solely for the song C'mon N' Ride It (The Train). Not my finest moment. Anyhow. I remember getting notices in the mail that I owed money or something like that and it freaked me the fuck out. I thought the police would come or something to arrest me. Perhaps I'm inventing things here but I swear I remember getting collections letters for a year or two after this saying I owed 20 dollars or something but then they stopped. Maybe they figured out I was 12 and they were boned. Either way, I got the CD's for free and life was good.

If I was asked to order my top 3 songs off that album they would go like this.

1. Don't Speak - Eminently listenable. If you could erase the worlds memory of this song and then re-release it to a fresh audience I'm convinced this song would still chart well. I'm sure millions of people have listened to this on repeat after some horrible breakup too. HUSH HUSH DARLING



2. Sunday Morning - A fun song. High energy. The secret gem of the album. Not much to say other than its my personal preference for ranking this that high. I've probably listened to this song off the album the most. Reminds me of Southern California.



3. Just a Girl - Despite the fact that I've never been able to sing this song aloud because I would look like a weirdo (I'm just a girl, just look at me, not your typical prototype) I think its probably the second most important song to come off the album. Not only does this establish firmly that Gwen Stefani is the new front(wo)man but that she is getting a lot of personal things off her chest and addressing the "HATERS."



I've never seen them live. Also one time she licked Moby's head.

2 comments:

  1. That first sentence wins my sentence of the year award. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah but how do you feel about No Doubt?

    ReplyDelete

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself