Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Not in Shape

I'm not in shape. Nor am I completely out of shape though either. I'm merely "SHAPE." Which is kind of annoying. I mean you get perks for being in super good shape and having a flat stomach and then if you're fat you get to be fat and its like, we get it, you have a huge gut and can eat a lot.

But me? I'm just kind of there floating in the ether. If I were to take off my shirt at the beach I'm not going to turn heads no matter what. It's just like, "That guy looks soft."

In any event I've been doing a lot of thinking and I've come to the conclusion that life in general is bullshit. Not quite the shocking revelation that you might have expected but what do you want?

I was at a Barnes and Noble the other day and there was this woman. Late 50's or so if I had to wager and she had a stack of 'How To' guides and books about how to fill out a good resume. She had a yellow legal pad and was taking notes or writing down something at the table she was working at. I got sad. This woman is nearing AARP eligibility at this point and she appeared to be trying to grind out a resume so she could be working. Of course I'm imposing all these ideas. Here she is though, in the twilight of her life, and she probably needs to get a job because whatever type of government assistance isn't going to be enough to survive....or maybe she just wants a job to stay busy.

Then I'm riding the bus home and it's late. Nearly one in the morning. Homeless old black guy sleeping on the bus. Which because I watch a lot of movies reminds me of a little exchange from the briliant Coppola film 'The Conversation'.

[about a bum on a park bench]
Ann: Every time I see one of those old guys, I always think the same thing.
Mark: What do you think?
Ann: I always think that he was once somebody's baby boy.

Somehow I doubt this guys family had this in mind for him when he grew up. Who knows why he is homeless. What I started thinking about was the years of oppression that African Americans faced. How the diaspora from the south occurred following the Civil War. How great African American communities sprouted in cities like New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Why was he here? Lot's of fun stuff to think about when you're riding the bus in the middle of the night.

Also, go see Inception!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself