Thursday, July 01, 2010

Albums That Defined My Life [College Edition]

While most of us like to think that we have great musical tastes, the reality is the songs we listen to the most are the ones that manage to (pardon the pun) strike the right chord with us. I'm no expert, I just pretend to be one.

Years: 2004-2008

During this stretch I'm in college. While we are always trying to project who we want to be, maybe this music says more about who I really am? Maybe. All I know is after a few minutes of thinking hard, these are without a doubt the albums I played the most through my four years of college. And there are a few tracks that whenever I hear them I can't help but think about those crazy days of eating Chipotle, drinking, playing videogames, and being afraid of women (THE JOKE IS THAT MY LIFE HAS NOT CHANGED ONE BIT FROM COLLEGE!!). Seriously though, a few songs off these albums definitely trigger very specific college related memories which I'll do my best to highlight if I can think of something good to say. These were the albums and songs that soundtracked my college experience.

Brand New - Deja Entendu [Stand Out Songs: Guernica, The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows, I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light]

A solid album that I would end up listening to at random intervals throughout the many years. Not only does this remind me of my favorite NHL game (NHL 04) because it has the song The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows on its soundtrack but I have to give props to my buddies Dan and Pat for introducing me to the full album. Good times. Guernica sticks out to me as just a reminder of late night Perkins.

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism [Stand Out Songs: The Sound of Settling, Tiny Vessels]

Somehow I claim to not really care one way or another about Death Cab but not only is this album probably my most played in college, but I'll end up giving another shoutout here in a minute to Gibbard's side project The Postal Service. Tiny Vessels ends up being my favorite song for two reasons. A shout out to Silver Lake (and the California Sun) which made me nostalgic for times spent in California visiting family and for a reminder of some sort of my uncle (who lived in California all his life) who passed away my freshman year. Probably the saddest moment in my life thus far. Very melancholy tune for the most part and it manages to kick in some weird memories of those shitty wet fall days waling across campus. It's raining, probably in the high 40's, brown and orange leaves on the ground, and I can see my breath. Probably sitting around waiting for a class to start. That kind of weather is something I miss.

The first 1:15 of Tiny Vessels is something I could listen to on loop from here to eternity.

The Postal Service - Give Up [Stand Out Songs: Such Great Heights, Brand New Colony]

Brand New Colony might be in my top 5 songs of the decade. Weirdly awesome and is something I can always relisten to. Whoever I marry I will force it to be 'OUR SONG' or something like that. The last 1:56 of the song once again levels down some awesome melancholy feelings. This more on the line of winter, snow, and waiting for that bus to take me home. Riding the 6 (I think that was the line) when its 10 degrees out. I won't call the song haunting, but it gets damn near to that level.


Part 2 Coming Later & with a lot less sappy stuff!

I'm about to zonk out because its 3:15 in the AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself