Monday, January 26, 2009

Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?

That song sucked.

Anyways, going back to talk about a few more older commercials I remember. Remember those stupid Pace Picante salsa ads on tv where the cowboys are sitting around a fire eating and then one of them takes out salsa and its from New York City and the whole group goes "NEW YORK CITY?!?!" Fucking stupid....and then the one guy mumbles "GET A ROPE." Yeah, lets murder this fucking guy because he has salsa from the wrong state!!!



Okay I'm over the whole commercial memory lane aspect of my life for now. Let's look back at a band that in retrospect is easy to make fun of, but for a short period of time was one of the more popular acts in the country and the world! I'm talking about the band Limp Bizkit. People rag on the 80's for its supposedly bad music, but only in the late 90's could a band like Limp Bizkit emerge. When their two greatest hits were 1. A Cover of a George Michael Song and 2. A song called 'Nookie'. I mean, its really one of the greater odditities in the history of music that Fred Durst would for a short period of time emerge as some sort of rock icon and would later go on to cover The Who's 'Behind Blue Eyes' which would go down in my book as one of the worst and most pointless covers of all time. I'd like to also point out that i think George Michael is underrated as a pop musician and that his success is often overshadowed for his public restroom behavior and as the butt end to jokes that have to do with his association with WHAM!

By far the funniest thing that was associated with Fred Durst is that he appeared as a bonus character in the videogame for Fight Club. Long story short the game was released 5 years after the movie came out and was spurned on no doubt hoping that there were enough gullable idiots to buy the game....and yeah it totally misses the point of the story all together since the game is just a fighting game. I never played the game myself but I kind of want to still, if only for the chance to beat the shit out of Fred Durst in game.


Lastly, in reference to the title here of the post we have another late 90's gem in Where Have All the Cowboys Gone. This song is a really fucking weird pop song that has a really weird opening and hook. Paula Cole's attempt at "Breaking it Down" with her little "Yippee Aye Yippee Ay" has to go down in history as one of the weirder points in music history (I'm full of hyperbole tonight). Interesting fact, this lost for best female Video in the 97 MTV Music Awards (remember when those were kind of a hip alternative to "STUFFY" awards shows instead of just being another boring award show?) to Jewel's 'You Were Meant For Me.' By the way I still totally think Jewel is hot and awesome.

I'd also go on to argue that You Were Meant For Me is a song that is criminally under used in popular culture (TV, Films, ETC.) when it comes to montages of a woman who just broke up with her boyfriend and is now depressed. Plus, wasn't Jewel totally pre-empting the entire indie take over of the music industry by a good 8 years? I mean, her early entries into music were best described as "FOLK POP" or at the time "Coffee House" style music...heavy on acoustic and a very stripped down sound. I honestly think if this single dropped right now it could be just as successful. And yeah, I'm starting to sound like a Jewel fanatic here, but I think there is something strongly endearing about her fucked up teeth...and yeah they're not fucked up but I mean I think there is one or two teeth that aren't exactly straight. Obviously she could afford to fix this slight imperfection but to me, hey its cool!

2 comments:

  1. holy shit, randomly stumbled across this post (by association of Ash?), and gotta say you nailed it with Jewel, she is and always will be my Alaskan Snow Princess, fucked up teeth and all. So hot.

    Also, limp bizkit holds a special place in my heart for being so horribly awesome. Durst, best lyricist ever? "So where the fuck you at punk? Shut the fuck up, and back the fuck up while we fuck this track up!" (Rollin') wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Retrojunk, good post. Oh sorry, I meant X-Entertainment. Oh wait, you're Scott, that's right.

    Funny though.

    Also SPAGHETT.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself