Sunday, December 14, 2008

Pop Culture Musings

When I walk into a big bookstore like the Barnes and Noble on the Third Street Promenade the magazine shelves are tiered into a few sections. Sports, Mens magazines, Womens, Fashion, Culture (music, tattoos, drugs!), and weird foreign ones that people buy to look smarter.

The mens magazine section is by far the most interesting to me...not only because I consider myself a man (HAHA) but I buy the most magazines from here. I like to look at GQ and Esquire because they make me feel smarter when I read one of their many well written articles. One bonus in buying one of these magazines too is that there is often an attractive woman on the cover of the magazine but you don't feel the inherent patheticness and stigma that is attached to say, buying Maxim. Bringing it up to the teenage girl who works the register just feels wrong.

Then there is the magazine Vanity Fair...is this a "manly" magazine or a more feminine one...or is it something in the middle. Last months issue had Kate Winslet looking stunning, yet I still wanted to get it for the articles. Strange, I realize. I also like looking through GQ and seeing a 450 dollar tie bar or 3500 dollar shoes...things I'll never own even if I imagine I could someday have the money to purchase such things. I do read the articles that can affirm my own man hood like knowing where the best steak houses are in New York, which at this point does me no good either.

WWE Style Wrestling Should be an Olympic Sport

The concept is simple. I feel that the outcome being predetermined actually makes the event itself more exciting. You (the viewer) will feel in your gut that you know how the predetermined end will occur, yet you do not and will root for who you wish to win. The theatrics of wrestling actually play into the Olympic atmosphere of competition. Can you imagine a ladder match that in the end gives out a gold medal. The Montreal Screwjob 0n an Olympic level would be the biggest scandal EVER. Also, as the writer Bill Simmons has pointed out, theme music makes everything better. Mashing both national anthems and Shawn Michaels 'Sexy Boy' Theme would be simply mind blowing. (Jim Ross announcing also)

Coach (The Tv Series)

In what has to be the worst move in the history of the University of Minnesota, the show Coach was originally supposed to reflect the school but they withdrew their support. How fucking stupid. If they would have endorsed the show at least the fake tv football program would have a successful football program.

BONUS WWF FOOTAGE OF MARK HENRY READING A POEM ABOUT OWEN HART (I CRIED):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Messages So I Can Feel Good About Myself